Legal & Privacy
In order to show and supply the fantastic products in this store to you, we work collaboratively with a number of partners, including our website host Shopify, and our distributors Ingram Micro NZ, Pudney & Lee and Go Wireless.
As part of that process, when you visit this site or purchase something from it, information about you may be collected and used by each of those parties in accordance with their privacy policies, which are outlined below.
We recommend you familiarise yourself with those policies.
- Shopify collects customer’s information such as name, email, shipping and billing address, payment details, company name, phone number, IP address and device data – both from us and from this online platform. It uses that info to provide services relating to this site, including supporting and processing orders, authentication, and processing payments. They also use this information to improve their services –and help us improve ours. The information is collected when a merchant’s customer uses or accesses Shopify’s services, such as when a customer visits a merchant’s site, places an order or signs up for an account on a merchant’s site.
- Shopify also collects information about website visitors including the device and browser you use, your network connection and your IP address. Personal Information about you may also be captured when you use the Shopify messaging feature, when you purchase tickets or make other requests to Shopify via any of their websites, when you call Shopify, or when you use the Shopify chat or forum functions
- After you have completing using this platform, Shopify will continue to store archived copies of your personal information for legitimate business purposes and to comply with the law. They will also continue to store anonymous or anonymized information, such as website visits, without identifiers, in order to improve their services.
- Shopify will never will never share, disclose, sell, rent, or otherwise provide personal information to other companies (other than to specific Shopify merchants you may be interacting with) for the marketing of their own products or services
- You retain all rights to your personal information and can discuss the personal information Shopify holds about you with them at any time. In addition, Shopify takes reasonable steps to allow you to correct, amend, delete, or limit the use of your personal information.
3rd Party Fulfilment
We share your personal information with 3rd party fulfilment companies to provide you with the products and services listed on this site including name, postal or email address, telephone numbers and any other relevant information as needed for freight and courier services, distribution, and any external businesses as required to fulfil your order. If you would like a copy of their privacy policies, then get in touch with us, or them directly:
- Ingram Micro: https://nz.ingrammicro.com/Pages/PrivacyPolicy.aspx.
- Pudney & Lee: http://www.pudneyandlee.co.nz/?action=about_us&type=contact
- Go Wireless: https://www.gowifi.co.nz/contact-us.html
Product privacy policies
Certain products may collect and use information about you. Advice about how that information is collected and used is available on the manufacturers websites.
- Nest: https://nest.com/nz/legal/privacy-statement-for-nest-products-and-services/
- Philips: https://www2.meethue.com/en-nz/support/privacy-notice
- LIFX: https://www.lifx.com.au/pages/legals
Terms of Service
In summary, the terms set out the following:
- You agree not to use this website for any illegal purpose.
- Meridian may change or remove this website at any time without notice.
- The trade marks and images on this website belong to Meridian, our business partners associated with this site, our licensors, or our affiliates. Likewise, the materials and content on this website are our intellectual property and belong to us or those listed parties. You cannot use or reproduce these without permission.
- In limited circumstances you may use and reproduce the content on this website. These include for your personal, non-commercial use provided you acknowledge this website as your source. You may not make more than one copy of any material, reproduce any of our material on another website, or redistribute material without our written permission.
- If you give us feedback, you permit us to use that feedback to improve our website, products, or services without restriction and without remuneration.
- You consent to receiving emails from us, and you agree that emails satisfy any legal requirement for communications to be in writing.
- While we do our best to make sure that information available on this website is accurate and free from errors, we do not guarantee its accuracy. There may be interruptions or delays on the website that we can’t prevent. Likewise, while we do our best to prevent the presence of viruses or malicious code on this website, we cannot guarantee this outcome.
- You may create hyperlinks to this website, but must not create "hotlinks" to this website without getting our prior permission. You will be responsible for all losses we may suffer as a result of any hyperlink or hotlink you create.
- We are not responsible for any damages or loss arising from this website or from use of any material available through this website or for any access to or use of your information or data by unauthorised persons.
- This website is controlled from New Zealand, New Zealand laws apply, and New Zealand courts have jurisdiction.
2. Your privacy
The information on this website constitutes an invitation to treat and not an offer to supply goods or services to you. When you place an order with us you are making an offer to buy goods or services on these terms and conditions. Your order will only be complete when payment in full has been received by us.
You must be eighteen (18) years of age to purchase products on the website. An order made by you using this website is an acknowledgement by you that you are over the age of eighteen (18) years.
We reserve the exclusive right to accept or reject (for any reason whatsoever and in whole or in part) any order submitted by you (before or after payment), including an order we believe, in our sole judgement, to have been placed fraudulently or in an effort to supply trade re-sale. We also reserve the right to limit the number of items a customer can purchase. If we reject an order after payment we will provide you with a refund.
There may be occasions when products are not immediately available for delivery e.g. when we are waiting on a shipment from the manufacturer. The website will be updated regularly (generally on an hourly basis but sometimes less regularly) to reflect inventory levels. In these instances we will accept your order but the delivery times set out below may be extended. We will endeavour to contact you after your order is accepted to remind you that the delivery time may be extended in this case. Once payment has been received, and we have accepted your order, we will send you an email to confirm that your order has been accepted. You may not cancel an order once it has been accepted.
All prices listed on the website are in New Zealand dollars and are inclusive of GST. Please note that we reserve the right to alter the prices on our website at any time for any reason.
We currently only accept credit card, android pay and apple pay.
Payments are made using the Stripe software platform and will be subject to any terms and conditions of that provider. Stripe use SSL (Secure Socket Layer) protocol whereby sensitive information is encrypted to protect your privacy. You can help protect your details from unauthorised access by logging out each time you finish using the website, particularly if you are doing so from a public or shared computer.
To the extent permitted by law, we will not be responsible for any damages or consequential losses (whether direct or indirect) suffered by you where your credit card or apple/android account is used in a fraudulent or unauthorised manner.
You understand that some content (not including credit card information) may be transferred unencrypted and involve a) transmission over various networks, and b) changed to conform and adapt to technical requirements of connecting networks.
If a product requires installation, this will be at your risk and cost.
6. Delivery, title and Risk
We only deliver to physical addresses in New Zealand, not PO boxes. You must ensure that the address you supply to us is correct and that there will be someone available to sign for receipt of the package on the expected date.
Delivery will be made by courier and will usually take between 2 to 5 working days. Where possible we will obtain track and trace details from the courier company so that you can track your delivery. Please contact us at email@example.com or on 0800 496 555 within 24 hours if you do not receive your package on the expected date.
We cannot accept responsibility for losses caused by delays in delivery that are out of our reasonable control. Title and risk in the products, such as loss and damage, passes to you on delivery.
If any products arrive damaged or short delivered please contact us within 48 hours at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0800 496 555. Damaged goods must be returned in the condition received by you and with all original packaging together with all packing slips.
If you are a consumer, you are provided with certain guaranteed rights under the New Zealand Consumer Guarantees Act 1993, including without limitation a right to a replacement product if the product is not of acceptable quality. If a product has a substantial defect you may be entitled to a refund. We will meet our obligations under the Consumer Guarantees Act to provide a remedy. Please contact us at email@example.com or on 0800 496 555 if you believe the product is not of acceptable quality. Note that goods must be returned within a reasonable time and you may be asked to demonstrate that you purchased the goods from us.
These NZ law consumer guarantees are in addition to any warranty provided by the manufacturer, for example any written warranty included in the box with your product, and you may have rights against the manufacturer directly, or their New Zealand distributor (e.g. for Nest products this is Ingram Micro (NZ) Limited).
The guarantees do not apply if you do not use the products in a manner, or to an extent, that would not reasonably be expected, if you do not follow instructions on how to use the products, or if you do not install the products in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
There is no repair service for the products, and spare parts are not available. We will accept returns for faulty, defective or damaged products, but not if you simply change your mind about a product. Nothing in these terms is intended to avoid the provisions of the Consumer Guarantees Act.
If you are acquiring products for business purposes, as defined in the Consumer Guarantees Act, you agree, by accepting delivery of the products, that the guarantees in the Consumer Guarantees Act will not apply.
8. Your use of this website
You agree not to use this website for any purpose that is unlawful or to engage in any conduct that may impair or cause damage to the operation of this website whether by way of a virus, corrupted file or through any other means.
Furthermore you agree not to alter, modify, reproduce, transmit or otherwise deal with the content, software, text, graphics, layout or design of this website without our prior written approval in each case. Permission to use material from this website may be sought from firstname.lastname@example.org.
We can use information about your use of the website to prevent and resolve unauthorised access to, or attacks on these systems. We can use this information in this way even if you are not involved in such malicious activity.
We may need to give information about you to others to comply with laws in New Zealand or overseas, including in order to improve cyber security.
9. User content
This website may enable you to submit information and other user-supplied content (‘user content’). By creating, modifying, transmitting, uploading, or submitting any user content, you:
- grant us a non-exclusive, royalty-free, fully paid, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, licence to publish and make available to the public your user content (by all means and in any media now known or hereafter developed) to other users of this website and other users of our services in such manner as we may permit from time to time
- acknowledge and agree that no royalties or other remuneration will be paid or payable to you for your user content, or for the rights granted above.
We have no obligation to you to make this website or any user content available. We may at any time edit or remove from display any part of this website (including your user content) as we deem appropriate.
You agree that we can get information about you from, or give information to, anyone who helps us carry out the uses above, like market research companies, data analysis companies and information security organisations.
10. Trade marks
The name and logo of Meridian and all trademarks appearing on this website belong to us or our business partners, licensors or affiliates. You must not use or reproduce or allow anyone to use or reproduce those trade marks for any reason without our prior written permission in each case.
11. Intellectual property
The materials displayed on this website are protected by copyright and other laws in New Zealand, and under similar laws and international conventions abroad. You acknowledge and agree that all copyright and other intellectual property rights that may subsist in materials available through this website including text, illustrations, artwork, photographs, video, music, sounds, layout, designs, software, source code, belong to us or to our business partners or licensors (together, ‘our intellectual property’).
Except in accordance with section 8 below or with our prior written permission, you may not in any form or by any means:
- use, copy, modify, adapt, reproduce, store, embed, distribute, print, display, perform, publish, or transmit in any way any works contained in any part of this website
- commercialise any information, products or services obtained from any part of this website.
12. Limited permission to use materials
Subject to the restrictions in section 9 below, you are permitted to download and print extracts of material or content from this website in the following situations only:
- for your personal, non-commercial use
- for research or private study
- where insubstantial portions of such material or content are quoted in another document provided that an acknowledgement of the source of such materials is provided in each case.
13. Restrictions on copyright clearance
The permissions given in section 8 above are subject to the following conditions unless you obtain our express prior written permission in each case:
- no more than one copy of such material may be made
- no part of the website or any material or content appearing on this website may be reproduced or stored in or transmitted to any other website
- no material or content appearing on this website may be redistributed, disseminated, transmitted or broadcast in any form, either electronic or non-electronic, or included in any retrieval system or service.
14. Feedback and unsolicited submissions
If you give us feedback about this website or our products or services, we may use that feedback for the purpose of improving our website or services (and for any other purpose we deem necessary or desirable) without being obliged to pay you any compensation. If you do send us unsolicited ideas:
- they will be deemed to be non-confidential
- we will not be required to provide any acknowledgement of their source.
15. Electronic communications
You agree, pursuant to section 11(2) of the Unsolicited Electronic Messages Act 2007, that the person sending any such message need not include a functional unsubscribe facility in that message.
We endeavour to ensure the accuracy of information available through this website and that the content of this website is free from errors. However, we do not give any warranty or other assurance as to the content of material appearing on this website, its accuracy, operation, quality, functionality, completeness, timeliness or suitability for any particular purpose.
To the maximum extent permitted by law, we provide this website and related information and services on an “as is” basis without any warranties, representations, or guarantees of any kind (whether, express, implied, statutory or otherwise) including, but not limited to, warranties of non-infringement, freedom from virus, merchantability, or fitness for a particular purpose.
You acknowledge that this website is hosted by Shopify Inc, which is not controlled by us, and that if you rely on this website or any materials available through this website, you do so solely at your own risk.
The views expressed in any third party material published on this website are not necessarily the views of Meridian and we expressly disclaim all responsibility for the content of any third party material published on this website.
If you are using our services for business purposes, you agree that the guarantees provided under the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 shall not apply to those services.
17. Limitation of liability
To the full extent permissible at law, we disclaim all responsibility for any damages or losses (including, without limitation, financial loss, damages for loss in business projects, loss of profits or other economic losses) whether arising in contract, tort or otherwise from the use of, or inability to use, this website or any material appearing on this website, or from any action or decision taken as a result of using this website or any such material.
Nothing in these terms is intended to avoid the provisions of the Consumer Guarantees Act or any other law. If and to the extent that liability cannot be lawfully excluded, these terms shall be modified to the extent necessary to give effect to the above intention.
Due to the nature of the internet and electronic communications, we and our service providers do not warrant that this website or any associated services will be error free, without interruption or delay, or free from defects in design. Your use of this website and any associated services may be subject to interruption, restriction, or delay. We will not be liable to you should this website or the services supplied through this website become unavailable, interrupted, restricted, or delayed for any reason.
19. Hyperlinks and third party websites
You may create one or more hyperlinks to this website but you must not create any hotlink, inline link, or direct link (each a "hotlink") to this website (or any file on this website) or embed any page of this website on another website (using a frame, iframe, or otherwise) without our prior written permission in each instance. If you would like to create a hotlink to this website, please contact us. If you do create a hyperlink or hotlink to this website or embed this website in another website, you will do so at your own risk and you will be responsible for all losses (whether direct or indirect) that we may suffer as a result of that hyperlink, hotlink, or embedding and you will indemnify us against all claims arising from, or in connection with, that hyperlink, hotlink, or embedding.
This website may provide links to internet sites maintained by third parties. Such linked sites are not under our control and we are not responsible for their contents (including the accuracy or legality of any linked site or any material contained in a linked site). We are providing these links to you only as a convenience, and the inclusion of any link does not imply endorsement by us of the linked site. We will not be liable for any damages or loss arising in any way out of or in connection with or incidental to any information or service provided by any third party.
20. Malicious code
Although we endeavour to prevent the introduction of viruses or other malicious code (together, ‘malicious code’) to this website, we do not guarantee that this website, or any data available from it, does not contain malicious code. We will not be liable for any damages or harm attributable to malicious code. You are responsible for ensuring that the process that you employ for accessing this website does not expose your computer system to the risk of interference or damage from malicious code.
Although we endeavour to protect the security of your personal information you acknowledge that there is a risk of unauthorised access to (or alteration of) your transmissions or data or of the information contained on your computer system or on this website. We do not accept responsibility or liability of any nature for any losses that you may sustain as a result of such unauthorised access or alteration. All information transmitted to you or from you is transmitted at your risk, and you assume all responsibility and risks arising in relation to your use of this website and the internet. We do not accept responsibility for any interference or damage to your own computer system which may arise in connection with your accessing of this website or any outbound hyperlink.
We comply with laws in New Zealand and overseas and we act to improve the security of our IT systems. You agree we can give information about you, including your interaction with Meridian websites to police or other government agencies in New Zealand or overseas to comply with these laws or improve cyber security.
We can give information about you if we believe giving the information will help prevent or resolve fraud, money laundering, unauthorised access to or attacks on Meridian’s IT systems or other crimes. We can give this information even if you are not involved in such malicious activity.
Ordinarily we will not tell you if we give out information about you. We are not responsible to you or anyone else if we give information about you for the purposes above.
You must not share your username and password with anyone, except a) your joint account holder (if you have one) and b) your directors and employees (if you are a business) who need access to your account.
You are responsible for all actions taken using your login, including the actions of any person you share your username and password with. You must make sure that anyone you share your username and password with complies with these terms.
22. Governing law
This website is controlled and operated by us, from offices within New Zealand and uses the Shopify website platform, which is based in Canada. Details contained on this website relating to the products and services have been prepared in accordance with New Zealand law and may not satisfy the laws of any other country. We make no representations or warranties as to whether or not the information or products available from this website are appropriate or available for use in other countries. If you choose to access this website from outside New Zealand you are responsible for compliance with applicable local law.
- Meridian can use your information to provide you with relevant information, allow others to provide you with information, and to communicate with you
- Meridian may store your personal information, but will take steps to protect that information
- Meridian is not responsible for the conduct of third party websites to which this website is linked
- You may email our privacy officer should you wish to access or correct personal information we hold about you
We may collect personal information from you (including, without limitation, your name, email address, phone number, and postal address) when you use this website. You may decide not to provide your personal information to us. However, if you do not provide it, we may not be able to provide you with access to certain information or services.
When you visit this website, we may use automated tools and methods (such as cookies, sessions, and usage monitoring software) to collect certain information about your visit, including (without limitation):
- the internet protocol address and domain name used by your computer to connect to the internet
- the operating system and the browser your computer uses, and any search engine or inbound hyperlink used to reach this website
- the date, time, and duration of your visit
- the pages viewed by you.
This information will be used in aggregate form to analyse how this website is being used (for example: to analyse usage patterns in order to improve this website) and provide you with a personalised experience. Your web browser may allow you to disable acceptance of cookies or certain types of cookies used for this purpose. However, if you limit or disable these cookies your access or use of our website may be restricted.
Meridian has signed up to Google’s website usage analysis service known as Google Analytics. This means that when you visit this website, tracking code, together with first party and third party cookies set by the tracking code, will collect and transmit anonymous information about you (age, gender and interests) and your use of and interactions with this website and the web, to Google’s data collection servers which is then reported to Meridian. The features provided by Google Analytics for Meridian may include:
- Remarketing: This feature enables Meridian and other third parties, to show Meridian’s advertisements to you, while you browse the web, based on your previous visits to Meridian’s website and your interests.
- Google Display Network Impression Reporting or DoubleClick Campaign Manager: This feature reports on the interaction between your receipt of Meridian advertisements on the web and your visits to this website to enable us to assess the efficacy of our advertisements.
- Demographics and Interest Reporting: This feature collects demographic information about you (age, gender and interests) to enable us to analyse behaviour by attribute and enable targeted interest-based website advertising to you via the Remarketing feature.
You can advise Google that you wish to opt out of Google Analytics by visiting Google’s Ad Settings page. This page also allows you to customise Google Display Network ads. No personal information is collected by Google Analytics or Meridian. Meridian does not merge personal information with information collected from Google Analytics.
We may gather more extensive information if we are concerned, for example, about abnormal website usage patterns or website security breaches.
"Cookies" are small files stored on your computer that assist us in collecting the information above. “First party cookies” are cookies that are associated with the domain of the site a user visits. “Third party cookies” are cookies that are associated with a different domain to the site a user visits.
3. Use and disclosure
We will not use or disclose your personal information except as described in this policy or in accordance with the Privacy Act 1993. We may use your personal information to:
- provide you with products and services, and information on products and services
- enable third parties to provide you with products and services
- provide you with information (including promotional material and news) where you agree to receive such information
- improve or update this website and our information and services
- communicate with you
- analyse usage of this website
- personalise this website to your preferences
- match your details with Meridians customer database to identify whether you are a current Meridian electricity customer, and if not provide your details to our Sales staff to contact you.
We will not sell, rent, or lease your personal information to third parties. Your personal information may be made available internally and to third parties such as our related companies, agents, online platform provider (Shopify), the product distributor (Ingram), manufacturer (Nest Labs), apple and android payment systems, credit checking or debt collection agencies, and website usage analysis agencies (including Google), for the above purposes.
We will only use or disclose personal information that you have provided to us, or which we have obtained about you:
- for the above-mentioned purposes
- if you have authorised us to do so
- if we have given you notification of the intended use or disclosure and you have not objected to that use or disclosure
- if we believe that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary to assist a law enforcement agency or an agency responsible for national security in the performance of their functions
- if we believe that the use or disclosure is reasonably necessary to enforce any legal rights we may have, or is reasonably necessary to protect the rights, property and safety of us, our customers, or others
- if we are required or permitted by law (whether in New Zealand or overseas) to disclose such information.
4. Storage and security
5. Third party websites
This website may contain hyperlinks to websites operated by third parties. We are not responsible for the content of such websites, or the manner in which those websites collect, store, use, and distribute any personal information you provide. When you visit third party websites from hyperlinks displayed on this website, we encourage you to review the privacy statements of those websites so that you can understand how the personal information you provide may be collected, stored, used and disclosed.
6. Right to access and correct
You may request access to, or correction of, any personal information we hold about you by emailing our privacy officer.
To ensure that the information we hold about you is accurate and current, please notify us of any changes to your information as soon as possible.
This online store is hosted on Shopify Inc. They provide us with the online e-commerce platform that allows us to sell our products and services to you.
Your data is stored through Shopify’s data storage, databases and the general Shopify application. They store your data on a secure server behind a firewall.
If you choose a direct payment gateway to complete your purchase, then Shopify stores your credit card data. It is encrypted through the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI-DSS). Your purchase transaction data is stored only as long as is necessary to complete your purchase transaction. After that is complete, your purchase transaction information is deleted.
All direct payment gateways adhere to the standards set by PCI-DSS as managed by the PCI Security Standards Council, which is a joint effort of brands like Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Discover.
PCI-DSS requirements help ensure the secure handling of credit card information by our store and its service providers.
For more insight, you may also want to read Shopify’s Terms of Service (https://www.shopify.com/legal/terms) or Privacy Statement (https://www.shopify.com/legal/privacy).
Last updated: 16 May 2018